Spin & Spell Easter Egg is a fun activity for preschool and kindergarten age kids to use plastic Easter eggs to practice spelling, rhyming & reading simple sight words. It’s also excellent for building fine motor skills as sometimes the egg comes apart when spinning and has to be put back together.
SPIN AND SPELL EASTER EGG VIDEO
Check out the Spin and Spell Easter egg in action in the below video:
And don’t forget to check out our NEW book – 100 Easy STEAM Activities is full of fun games and creative projects to learn early concepts in Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math with materials you already have around the house!
MATERIALS NEEDED FOR SPIN AND SPELL EASTER EGG:
HOW TO PLAY SPIN AND SPELL EASTER EGG:
- Using a Black permanent marker, write the first letter of simple words on the bottom half of the egg so that the letter is facing the center of the egg where it joins with the top half. We used the following beginning letters on our egg: b, c, f, m, s, h
- On the top half of the eggs write the last 2-3 letters of simple words starting from the middle where the top egg will connect with the bottom egg. We used the following last half words: at, it & all
- Now put the egg together and it is ready to be played with!
- Challenge the child to create as many words as possible by spinning the egg to make new words.
Here is a list of all the words we made using the letters detailed above:
- at, bat, cat, fat, mat, sat, hat
- it, bit, fit, mit, sit, hit
- all, ball, call, fall, mall, hall
As you can see, we were able to make 19 words using just those few letters! You can also discuss how many of the words rhyme because they have the same ending.
Looking for more fun Easter activities?
Check out all our Easter activities here: https://www.raisingdragons.com/category/seasonal/easter-spring/
Here are some of our favorites: